Finnish Multiple Births Association
Sometimes life can surprise you! A multiple birth family is a family that is expecting or parenting twins or higher order multiples.
In Finland approximately 800 sets of twins and ten sets of triplets are born annually. Having quadruplets is rare. Of all births in a year, 1.35 percent are multiple births. In Finland there are an estimated 15 000 multiple birth families with underaged children.
What does Finnish Multiple Births Association do?
Finnish Multiple Births Association helps families find coaching and peer support. You will get expert information on parenting multiples.
- We assist multiple births associations and coordinate their volunteer and peer support work as well as family coaching
- We offer advice to families and professionals
- We strive to get the needs of multiple birth families more sufficiently met
- We build support for families
- We produce information on multifetal pregnancy and delivery, on parenting multiples and multiple life as well as on our work, and share this information with families, professionals and officials
- We publish the magazine Monikkoperheet (Multiple Birth Families)
- We provide multiple birth families with a channel for applying for funded vacations
Our association is funded primarily by Veikkaus. The association employs three people and the office is in Jyväskylä, Central Finland. We are a member of ICOMBO (International Council of Multiple Births Organisations).
Come and join us
Becoming a multiple birth family raises all kinds of questions and feelings. You are not alone!
Through the association you will get peer support and useful tips for everyday life and parenting. Coaching is available for multiple birth families in most of the municipalities where our regional associations are found. Coaching is offered to all families that are expecting twins, triplets or quadruplets. Sign up for coaching, benefit from information materials, become a part of the peer support network, meet other families and take part in various events.
Becoming a member is worth it
You or your whole family can become a member of one of our seventeen regional associations. To become a member, contact your regional multiple birth family association or fill in the online application form on our website www.suomenmonikkoperheet.fi.
As a member you will benefit from all this
- events and activities for the whole family, flea markets, family coaching, meeting professionals, recreation and peer support for parents
- discounts and other benefits with the membership card at various stores around Finland
- the magazine Monikkoperheet (published quarterly) for a special membership price or included in the membership fee, which you pay to your regional association
The membership fees vary from 10 to 38 euros depending on the size of the association and the services and offers it provides. Information on regional associations can be found on our website www.suomenmonikkoperheet.fi.
Material on multiple birth families in English:
A good start for parenting multiples online course
On the Good Start to Parenting Multiples online course, you will learn about expecting, giving birth to and parenting multiples. You can study with your partner or by yourself. The online course consists of text, videos, online lectures and assignments. You can study according to your own schedule, whenever is convenient for you.
Coaching presentation in English.
Multiple birth siblings as adolescents – A guide for parents of twins and higher order multiples is available for members of local multiple birth families association. Please ask your copy from the office: email@example.com
KELA (an independent social security institution)
Benefits for multiple birth families
Suomen Monikkoperheet ry
Ilmarisenkatu 17 A, 40100 Jyväskylä
Tel. +358 50 4359 004
Executive director Ulla Kumpula
Tel. + 358 50 3280 730